Welcome to singershealth.com, a comprehensive source of health information for singers and other professional voice users. Here you will find timely references regarding all aspects of vocal wellness, as well as onsite and online wellness, therapy and instruction services for singers, corporate speakers, actors, lawyers, teachers and other professional voice users.
©1997 All Rights Reserved
Dr. Karen Wicklund
The following are selected slides from the NATS Winter Workshop and Massey University, New Zealand Presentations on Stress:
STRESSORS FOR MUSICIANS:
CRITICISM (LOCUS OF CONTROL ISSUES)
INNER AND OUTER DISTRACTIONS
LACK OF PREPARATION
MANAGING MUSICIAN'S STRESS
USE ANXIETY AS A KEY TO PRACTICE
PLAY WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF YOUR
MOST PERFORMERS EXPERIENCE ANXIETY
MAINTAIN NORMAL ROUTINE WHEN
PREPARING FOR A PERFORMANCE
"WHAT AM I REALLY AFRAID OF" (WORST
CASE SCENARIOS) A SOPRANO ON HER HEAD
MANAGING MUSICIAN'S STRESSORS
PROBLEMS & POTENTIAL EXPERIMENTS:
PERFORM COMPETING TASKS (PEDAL WHILE MOVING A PENCIL)
LEARN A NEW PIECE FROM END TO BEGINNING
TRANSPOSE CHALLENGING PASSAGES
LACK OF SENSORY AWARENESS:
PRACTICE IN THE DARK
VISUALIZE HAND MOVEMENTS/FINGERINGS
OR MOUTH THE WORDS IN DETAIL
PRACTICE SILENTLY (NO STOPS ON ORGAN)
MAKE A SLOW-MOTION ANALYSIS OF MOVEMENTS
IMAGINE PLAYING THROUGH ENTIRE PIECE
PRACTICE WITH MEMORY- ENHANCING SOUND CUES
TRANSCRIBE CHALLENGING PASSAGES INTO A NOTEBOOK OR LOG
DISCOMFORT WITH PERFORMANCE SITUATIONS:
"COLD" RUN-THROUGH WITH MINIMAL WARM-UP
PLAY IMMEDIATELY AFTER PHYSICAL EXERCISE
PRACTICE WHILE PLAYING A CASSETTE TAPE OF
AUDIENCE NOISES OR OTHER BACKGROUND EFFECTS
MAKE VIDEO OR AUDIO CASSETTE RECORDINGS OF PRACTICE/PRELIMINARY PERFORMANCES
IS IT THE END OF THE WORLD?
PERFORMING IS AN OPPORTUNITY, NOT A DEATH
SENTENCE (GIVE THEM COOKIES!)
IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE MUSIC
DON'T TRY TOO HARD; JUST LET IT GO
AND ACCEPT WHATEVER HAPPENS
COMMON IRRATIONAL THOUGHTS AND BELIEFS:
- Everyone I know must love and approve of me.
- I should be thoroughly competent, adequate and achieving in everything I attempt.
- I should never feel bad. My life should go smoothly at all times.
- People should always be concerned for my welfare and should look out for me.
- If things do not go or stay the way I very much want them to, it would be catastrophic or terrible.
- Things should remain the same. Change should occur only when I'm ready for it.
-Unhappiness is externally caused, and I cannot control it unless I control other people.
- One should remain strong or courageous if faced with a dangerous or frightening reality.
- It is easier to avoid responsibility and difficulties than to face them.
- There is invariably one right, precise, and perfect solution, and it would be terrible or catastrophic if this perfect solution is not found.
- Bad things happen only to bad people.
- If I make one mistake, I am a failure.
- All of my successes are due to luck.
More on singershealth.com
Voice Lessons & Therapy
Foreign Accent Reduction / ESL
Belt Workshop (2006)
CCPV and NICEV
Children's Vocal Wellness
Learning Disabilities References
NATS & New Zealand Workshops
NATS Convention Poster Papers
Singer's Herbal Regimen
Singer's Daily Wellness Regimen
Singer's Wellness Model
Wicklund Audio Clips
Wicklund Voice Studio News
AUDIO OF CHICAGO STUDENTS
Wicklund Wellness Offerings